Ever had the urge to throw a tomato at a complete stranger and live to tell about it? Or dance 24 hours without a care in the world? Shake off your conventions, pack your bags, set your senses on overload and get ready for one helluva of a time with our top festivals around the world. Whether celebrating ancient revered traditions or just being wacky for the sheer joy of it, these yearly festivals are great reasons to travel or play hooky from work. From Spain’s La Tomatina festival to Rio’s famous Carnival, celebrations of electric chaos pulsates with community spirit and you’ll be hard pressed to not get caught up in the festivities!
The only fear here is having too much fun. So enjoy and start checking off that bucket list!
- Rio Carnival, Brazil- The festivities start 5 days before Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent.
- La Tomatina, Spain- Every Last Wednesday of August
- Carnival Of Venice, Italy- Beginning two Saturdays before Ash Wednesday. The Carnival of Venice ends with the beginning of Lent.
- Huong Pagoda Festival (Perfume Pagoda Festival), Vietnam- From the 6th day of Lunar New Year to the 6th day of the third lunar month
- Pingxi Lantern Festival, Taiwan- Usually between February and March
- Oktoberfest , Munich, Germany- Last 2 weeks of September until the first week of October
- Songkran Water Festival, Thailand- April 13 to April 15
- Holi, India- The last full moon day of the lunar month, which is usually in March
- Mardi Gras, United States- Usually in February or March, Mardi Gras falls on a different date every year.
- Glastonbury Music Festival, England- Usually in June
- Carnival of Venice - Venice, Italy - February
- Songkran Festival, Thailand - April
- Fes Festival of World Sacred Music - Fest, Morocco- May
- Snow Star Festival - Sinakara Valley, Peru - (Dates vary between May & June)
- White Nights Festival - St. Petersburg, Russia - May - July
- Exit Festival - Novi Sad, Serbia -July
- Boryeong Mud Festival - Boryeong, South Korea - July
- Día De Los Muertos - Mexico - October - November